Meeting the deadline

The Ax explores other journalism groups in OHS

Making plans: Natalie Muntwyler (10) and Lauryn Rhoads (12), members of AxTv, discuss the plans for the week in Debbie Madison’s room.

Shayla Frederick, Reporter

Throughout the year, journalism groups report on the memories made, topics discussed, and clubs created. Those who take part in this can be in one of three classes: The Ax Media, The Acorn, or AxTV.

The Acorn, Oakwood’s yearbook class, work to complete the yearbook over the course of the year. Walsworth, a company many schools across the country use to print and distribute yearbooks, inducted the Acorn’s most recent yearbook into their “Gallery of Excellence”. This is an honor given to a small percentage of yearbooks that represent the best of Walsworth.

“We had six new people, so teaching them and completing the book was a big achievement,” Abbie Stone (12), the editor-in-chief of the Acorn, said. “On top of that, being in the ‘Gallery of Excellence’ was really nice.”

Last year, the Acorn had only eight members. However, this year, the staff is composed of 23 people. Despite this great increase, the staff still holds the same bond as they had last year.

“In the beginning it was quiet, except for the six of us that returned last year, but now everyone’s getting together,” Stone said. “We’ve been able to talk and learn more together, especially since all the newbies know what they’re doing now, everyone’s at more of a comfortable place.”

AxTV, Oakwood’s broadcast journalism class, consists of 18 members who make videos throughout the year; reporting on the many clubs and events that transpire in the school. In homeroom, all students are shown an AxTV video, where the announcements are given and other videos discussing a variety of topics, from the freshmen’s new chromebooks to “23 Questions with Mr. Deters”, are presented.

“I feel our goal is to have fun but also spread information.” Katie Kraft (9), a member of Broadcast Journalism, said.

Similar to the staff of The Acorn, the members of AxTV are close.

Sometimes the class can get loud as we love to sing and jam out,” Sammy Caruso (12), a member of Broadcast Journalism, said. “We hang out outside of school, do bonding activities, and you really become close with everyone.”

Whether designing spreads for the yearbook or producing videos, many students who participate in these journalism classes gain skills they can use in the future.

“Leadership is something I’ve definitely gotten, especially working with [Mrs. Jackson], because she’s such a great example,” Stone said. “I definitely learned how to address people more and allow people not to step over me.”

Members of AxTV, like Kraft, feel that the class provides an opportunity for someone to step out of their comfort zone. Caruso also echoes this message.

“Being a journalist has helped me in the real world by being able to look at situations from multiple viewpoints,” Caruso said. “I am now considering taking up a major or a minor in broadcast journalism in college, depending on where I go. I’m proud to be #AxTV.”

If you would like to buy a yearbook, you can go here to view the available packages: Yearbook Purchasing. Want to see more of AxTV? Go to ohsaxmedia.org to see the latest announcement video presented in homeroom.