The Student News Media Site of Oakwood High School

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

Leadership remastered

District places Patrick Masters as interim principal after Waller was placed on leave
Adam Chodkowski
Tuesday Treats: Masters and students from Circle of Friends sell cookies on Tuesday.

On Feb. 2, shortly after the school day ended, parents, students and staff received an email announcing that high school Principal Dr. Paul Waller had been placed on leave. The email also announced that until further notice, Patrick Masters would be serving as the interim principal.

Masters is a retired school administrator who spent 20 years at Dayton Public Schools and 19 years at Northmont City Schools. He has also served as a substitute teacher several times at OHS and other schools.

Masters announced his intentions to students early Monday in a video that introduced him to the student body. 

“We want things that are good for students, we want things that are good for staff, we want things that are good for the community,” Masters said.

He has focused on preventing interruptions and keeping the school functional since the change in leadership was announced.  He has also established that he is going to be an active member of the school community during his time here. 

“I just hope to be visible,” Masters said. “To see how students are doing and making sure they’re okay with things, and to talk with staff and make sure they’re informed as much as I can inform them.”

While Masters’ introduction was abrupt, Dr. Neil Gupta, the district superintendent, hopes that students offer him a warm welcome. 

“His passion for education, proven leadership and unwavering commitment to our students’ well-being make him an excellent steward for this transitional period,” Gupta said. “As we navigate through a period of change, I encourage all students to remain focused on their education, show respect for one another, and uphold the values that strengthen our Oakwood school community.”

During his time here Masters hopes to help students strengthen the school values in many ways including by introducing his philosophy to the school.

“Live, love, learn, and leave a legacy,” Masters said in the video. “No matter where you go, in your school, whether you get a job, or in your life those are some of the things you need to do.”