The Student News Media Site of Oakwood High School

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

Global conflict aid

Domestic issues cited as block for US aid in world conflicts
War Torn: A child rummages through the rubble on the Gaza strip. Photo: Pixabay

Last month the Ukraine-Russia conflict turned two years old with no clear end in sight. Many Ukrainians are worried that the United Nations will stop sending sufficient aid so they can divert funds towards conflicts like the one in Israel that started in October. 

One of the main sources of aid for Ukraine and Israel-Palestine is America, and along with issues such as diverting support to other conflicts, Americans are seeing domestic issues that are causing a lack of aid being sent at all. 

Many Republican representatives feel that instead of sending aid to foreign conflicts, we need to spend more money on border security. 

Without bipartisan support, any bills in support of border security or foreign aid can be passed.

In a press briefing on Jan. 6 posted to whitehouse.gov, “Every week, every month that passes without new aid to Ukraine means fewer artillery shells, fewer air defense systems, fewer tools for Ukraine to defend itself against this Russian onslaught,” Biden said. “Just what Putin wants.”

It is unclear whether any bills will be passed through Congress with the extreme lack of bipartisan support. These domestic issues have international effects due to the question of where aid should go. 

“Everything is tied together, clearly our country wants to provide aid to both countries for national security reasons, but as of recent there have been movements to try to reduce aid to try and fix our domestic problems,” Mitch Miller, government teacher said. “Both countries are fighting for aid so to speak, It has become a major battle in our legislative branch and our administrative because they’ve been arguing about what to do, the deal so far that they have put together is going to be dead on arrival at the House because there isn’t bipartisan support for it.”