The Student News Media Site of Oakwood High School

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

Killin’ it

Speech and Debate and Academic Decathlon head into national tournaments
Left Photo by: Katie Pees-Arber Right photo by: Marie Jergens
Pre-State Preparation: Speech and Debate students smile for the camera after winning their well-deserved awards, thanks to their preparation beforehand. “In the weeks running up to a given tournament, I read and analyze the news at length to better understand issues I may need to speak on,” Maxwell Kiernan (12) said.

After sweeping state tournaments, speech and debate and Academic Decathlon teams are headed to nationals.

Speech and debate racked up the wins March 1 and 2 at Wooster High School. They brought home many new titles, with a 5th place finish for the team out of 86 schools.

Robert Einhorn (11) got second place at a state speech and debate tournament in what’s known as a Lincoln-Douglas debate, where each debater gets equal time to make their argument and then ask the opposing side questions. This is a huge accomplishment not just for Einhorn, but for Oakwood as a whole, as this is the first time any student in Oakwood has gotten second place in this type of debate.

Abby Poprocki (12) got third place at the Lincoln-Douglas debate, with Tristan Williams (11) placing fifth.

Placing fifth in Duo Interpretation was Evie Davis (10) and Andreas Meira (10). 

Amelia Butler (9) won the State Novice Championship

Lastly, Maxwell Kiernan (12) got fourth place in what’s known as the Senate, where participants act as Congress, at the state championship. Congress in Speech and Debate is where participants act as members of the real Congress, debating works of legislation, along with bills and resolutions. 

“Reaching the State Finals Chamber this year and getting 4th is certainly up there, but ranking 23rd out of 217 at a national tournament in International Extemporaneous Speaking last year might take the cake,” Kiernan said.

However, Speech and Debate wasn’t the only club taking it to a whole new level. Academic Decathlon took home some awards as well on March 9. Not only did they win the State Competition for the 14th year in a row, but they also brought back a total of 196 medals.

“It was so exciting to witness all of the medals won by the students because it is the evidence of all of their hard work and dedication this year,” OHS French teacher and assistant coach for Academic Decathlon Marie Jergens said. “I am looking forward to Nationals because it is a difficult and challenging competition but with such high rewards.”

Academic Decathlon’s Nationals will be held in Pittsburgh April 24-28, while Speech and Debate’s Nationals will be held in Des Moines June 16-21.