The Student News Media Site of Oakwood High School

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

The Ax Media

What Made Maddy Run?

Carli Bushoven spreads mental health awareness through her sister’s story
Photo Contributed By: Amanda Brown
Carly Bushoven talking about mental health awareness at the assembly on April 29

On April 29, speaker Carli Bushoven spoke to senior and junior high students about her sister, Madison Holleran’s tragic death and the importance of mental health and suicide prevention.

According to Bushoven’s biography, her sister was seen as a girl who had everything going for her: she was kind, athletic, and smart. Despite seemingly having a perfect life, she died by suicide on Jan. 17, 2014. Her death came as a shock to her family and everyone who knew her, along with people across the country. 

Kate Fagan decided to write a book called “What Made Maddy Run?” about the life and death of Holleran to bring better awareness to the topic of mental health. Bushoven spoke about the book as well as telling: students it’s not always as obvious as it seems when someone is having suicidal thoughts. 

Suicide signs in people who appear to “have it all” often get overlooked because it’s not understood why someone who “has it all” would struggle or want to end their life. She and her family saw the signs but were not sure what they meant. Bushoven explained the importance of reaching out to those in need.

Some students felt the need to reflect after hearing her speak, “I just needed a minute to process after hearing her moving words,” Ryan Agee (11) said at the end of her speech.

She brought with her a better awareness of what someone experiencing suicidal thoughts will look like and what to do when you recognize suicidal thoughts in someone you know.

Many students at Oakwood felt moved by the message that the speaker portrayed. 

“She was really well-spoken and I think her message was really important,” Grey Skorupan (9) said.

In all, the speaker explained the many different causes for her sister’s struggle, but overall the message was to reach out for help if you need it.

If you or someone you know needs help, reach out to a teacher or counselor. Hope Squad members are trained and available in the Wellness Center. For help at any time, call or text 988 to get connected with help right away.