Next Steps

Students express their opinions about the productivity of college visits

Looking Ahead: Students attending a college visit from University of Alabama learn more about the school from representative Kelly Watson. “Even if you do not think youd be interested in that specific college, you learn information that can be relevant to multiple colleges and learn how to look your best in the eyes of colleges,” Kennedy Nels (11) said. “It helps you feel more informed when it comes to college prep and can even connect you to college coaches or certain students to learn even more.”

Looking Ahead: Students attending a college visit from University of Alabama learn more about the school from representative Kelly Watson. “Even if you do not think you’d be interested in that specific college, you learn information that can be relevant to multiple colleges and learn how to look your best in the eyes of colleges,” Kennedy Nels (11) said. “It helps you feel more informed when it comes to college prep and can even connect you to college coaches or certain students to learn even more.”

Stella Castle, Reporter

The guidance department gives high school students the opportunity to sign up for meetings with different college representatives who are visiting to speak about their school. Many students only focus on the big name schools such as Harvard or MIT, and don’t even consider that a smaller school might be best for them. According to usnews.com, going to a smaller school gives students an opportunity to get one-on-one time with a teacher. At bigger schools, classes can have hundreds of students, and only one professor. At smaller schools however, there would be less students in a class resulting in more personal relationships with the professors.

“It is best for people to keep their eyes open about schools. It doesn’t hurt to learn about different schools and you get to find out and learn about ones you might not have thought about before,” Kelly Watson, college representative from Alabama State, said

Students attend these visits for numerous reasons. Some because they have no idea what they are going to do for college and need ideas, and some just to make sure they aren’t missing opportunities. 

“The opportunities [include] learning more, and simply getting your name in the college’s brain,” Ella Pleiman (12) said.  “A lot of them take note of who comes and consider that when reading your application.” 

Many younger high school students, such as freshman and sophomores, have already started thinking ahead about college, so college visits are an opportunity to get more insight. 

“Students who attend the visits get more information and get an idea of what the college is like and what to expect,” Kennedy Nels (11) said. 

Although lots of students find these visits helpful, some feel as if the visits are pointless and unnecessary. 

“I don’t go to college visits because I’m not super interested in them and I’m not worried about college yet,” Diana Sarle (11) said. 

Students have different opinions on the usefulness of college visits, but if you think they would be helpful to you, visit the Guidance Office to sign up and experience these visits first hand.