Opinions under the dome: school board decision to construct a performing arts center

Karina Czeiszperger, Staffer

The Oakwood School Board recently began discussing a new plan for the school buildings in the district. Many possible changes are being presented, such as updating the air conditioning systems and other facilities, increasing classroom sizes at the elementary schools, as well as possibly wanting to try to maintain and preserve the historical buildings, which were built in the early 1900’s. One major consideration is increasing the size of the buildings and allowing more class space at Oakwood. For example, the current average junior high class size at Oakwood is 600-square-feet, while the state standard is 900.

The issue that I would like to focus on is the consideration of a performing arts center for the school district. I think this would be beneficial for the entire district. At the high school, we have a strong group of performing arts programs. The concert band, jazz band, orchestra, honors orchestra, choirs, a cappella groups, and theatre program all have many talented students. While I hold bias because I am a part of the symphonic chorale, Synergy, Lumberjack theatre, and have been a part of orchestra, my participation has allowed me to see the talent of my peers firsthand. While the auditorium is adequate enough to host performing arts events as well as meetings and banquets, the sharing of the space is not ideal. For example, rehearsals for the musical often have to be moved to the cafeteria or choir room rather than in the auditorium. As far as the stage itself goes, the space is rather tight for performances. The stage has very little wing space. It is  difficult to store anything backstage for any type of show, or to move around without the audience seeing the performers. The stage area itself is also small compared to other local schools. For example, according to the Dayton Daily News, Fairmont High School has an existing auditorium that is about 11,200-square-feet, with a stage that is 3,000-square-feet. Fairmont is constructing a new auditorium that will be even larger, 19,200-square feet, with a stage that is 4,800-square-feet. In the case of the musical at Oakwood, there are so many people involved that in numbers where every performer is onstage, everyone can barely fit on the stage.

One concern many parents and community members expressed in comments on the Master Facilities Plan website regarding constructing a performing arts building is incorporating the cost within the budget. While that is a valid concern, there are many ways this could be addressed. The construction of Lane Stadium, the new sports facilities complex, was funded by the Oakwood Athletic Boosters Association and donations from the community. A new performing arts building could be sponsored by the Oakwood Arts Bridge, and community fundraising for the years leading up to the construction of the building.

In addition, the classrooms used for band and orchestra display issues as well. Both rooms are located near other classrooms, resulting in residual noise in the surrounding hallway. It is not always an issue, but trying to take a test when the classroom is near one of the music rooms makes it very difficult to concentrate. According to an article by Mark A. W. Andrews on scientificamerican.com, “…noise in the home, work or school often disrupts people’s concentration… ambient noise also affects people’s health by increasing general stress levels and aggravating stress-related conditions.” Brenna Campbell (11) agrees that concentrating near the music rooms makes concentrating more difficult. “It’s difficult to focus because the school uses essentially no sound proofing so you can hear the sound really well. If you have a class near one of [the rooms] it can take longer to take tests because you keep having to refocus,” Campbell said.

The elementary schools would also benefit from having a space dedicated to performing. Smith Elementary does not have a space dedicated to performing. Any performances or assemblies are held in the gym. Harman does have an area for performing, according to comments on the Master Facilities Plan Website, parents often have difficulties seeing students on the stage while performing. It would help encourage young kids in music and performing arts programs at Smith and Harman to continue pursuing the programs if the students were able to have a space for performing arts programs.

To summarize, while we do already have spaces that are useable it would be beneficial to the students to have a larger, more accessible and ergonomic space. The new buildings will not begin construction until several years after I graduate, official decisions will be made in the summer of 2018. In my opinion this would be a great addition to the district and would encourage many students who pursue a passion in performing.

By: Karina Czeiszperger

[email protected]