Fundraising for fun

Student council organizes their annual mulch sale as a fundraiser for prom

Joint Effort: Students pile bags of mulch onto the truck so that they can be delivered to customers who pre-ordered. Both members of student council took part in hosting the sale, as well as other student volunteers.

Paige Simon, Reporter

During the weekend of April 15-16, Oakwood High School’s student council hosted a mulch sale. This sale has been hosted annually for decades.

“We’ve done it every year for as long as I can remember,” Counselor Adam Woessner said. 

People were able to purchase their mulch and then choose to either have it delivered or pick it up themselves at Irving Field. Volunteers loaded the mulch into trucks to be distributed or put into the customers’ cars. In total, 1500 bags of mulch were sold, which is equivalent to about 3000 cubic feet.

The goal is to help raise money for prom so it is less expensive for students and ticket prices can stay relatively the same year after year. This year, ticket prices for seniors were cut down to $45 due to remaining funds from their Junior Assembly which was canceled during freshman year because of COVID-19. Non-senior tickets were $65.

The prom theme this year is Midnight in Paris, and the dance will take place at the Dayton Art Institute on May 6. Ticket sales have closed and students can now make seating requests for dinner at the venue. Look out for announcements over the next week for information on seating arrangements.