Springing into break

A dive into what students plan to do over spring break

Stunning Sunset: Many students go to the beach over spring break, to enjoy the warm weather and see beautiful sunsets. “I love the beach so I am very excited to go over spring break,” Kate Donnelly (9) said.

Lilly Green, Reporter

So, what are you doing for spring break? The question seems to be everyone’s go-to conversation starter this time of year. But indeed, spring Break is an exciting time for all in the school, as it is the last break before summer. 

“[I am excited to be] studying at my own pace and having more time for myself,” Olivia Vandyke (9) said. 

Students are going to a variety of places this break. Some will be traveling overseas like Keira Handler (9), who is going to the Dominican Republic, or Lillian Oehlers (12), who is going to London, England. 

“[I’m excited to be] relaxing in the sun with a cold drink, because winter has been long,” Handler said. 

Some will be traveling across the country. Micha Venema (10) is going to Chicago, Kate Donnelly (9) is going to Folly Beach, South Carolina, and Catherine Shannon (10) is going to Florida. 

“[I will enjoy] being in a city and seeing the museums,” Venema said. 

But, some people are just staying in Oakwood. 

“[I will be] sleeping and [am] going to try new recipes I found on the internet,” Mire Velasquez (9) said. 

While looking forward is exciting, looking in the past is also worthwhile. People always have memories to share. 

“My favorite memory from spring Break was the Myrtle Beach baseball trip last year,” Max Kiernan (11) said. “We got to spend a week at the beach, and play some high-competition baseball while we were at it.” 

Spring break isn’t the only break that comes around during the 3rd quarter. We took a sampling of students to find out whether they preferred spring or winter break, and out of the 20 people surveyed, 65% of them said they preferred spring break. 

“Spring break is more conveniently placed; winter break feels too close to holiday break,” Kiernan said. 

However, 35% of the people surveyed prefer winter break. 

“No one else has winter break like we do, because of that there’s more to do without fear of crowds,” Vandyke said. 

But for seniors, spring break is even more important,as it is their last break. Many of them like to plan trips together with their friends. 

“[I am] going camping with some friends. It’s important to me because since I’m a senior, I’ll be graduating soon so I want to make as many memories [as] I can with my friends before I go off to college,” Emerson Long (12) said. 

So whether you travel to another country or don’t leave your basement, have a great spring break, because it’s the last one until summer.  We’ll see you back in class on April 4.