Bags for Benin

Help collect school supplies, home goods and fun toys for students in Benin

Teaming Together: Ashley Barchus, the president of Tree of Life USA, poses with students. Ella Wessel (11) said, “I like how we are actually helping people and doing something good for the world rather than just sitting and learning vocab like most language classes.” Photo credit: Tree of Life on Instagram

Stella Castle, Reporter

Marie Jergens’s French IV class is currently collecting supplies for students in need in Sakété, Benin (a French speaking country in Africa), and you can help too. Located just west of Nigeria, Benin is one of the poorest countries in Africa, and even in the whole world with its poverty rate at around 38.5%. According to the World Bank Group, an institution that fights against worldwide poverty, only 54.8% of students completed primary school in 2018-2019, and although the enrollment rate has massively improved within the last two decades, conditions at school and conditions students face at home that affect their school careers are still dire.

In partnership with the Tree of Life USA, a Christian organization located in Sakété, Benin, Jergens’ class is collecting basic home goods, school supplies and even fun toys and trinkets that we have here in the United States that students in Benin would also enjoy. Collections include; notebooks (60), hand sanitizer (60), toothbrushes (60), toothpaste (60), earrings, nail polish, and bracelets (20 total), hard candy (10 large bags), and playing cards (10 large decks). Lots of these supplies have already been collected, but playing cards, balls, jump ropes and dry erase markers are still needed. 

Students throughout the whole school are able to donate, and any donations would be greatly appreciated by the class, but most of all, by the boys and girls of Sakété. These donations would drastically help to improve their everyday lives. Items collected will be brought to Benin over winter break, so donations are due by Feb. 10. Just scan the QR code on one of the posters located around the building (or click the link here) for a link to the Amazon wishlist and bring all collections to Marie Jergens in room 211.