In a world full of problems, be the solution

Last December, OMUN finished presenting their resolutions and now prepare for coming year

Lights, Camera, Action: Ella Pleiman (12), Anna Newman(10) , Clara Smith (12), Kennedy Nels (11), Maggie Sollenburger (12), Brigid Newman (10), Annie Mhaskar (10) and Faye Foley (12) perform a traditional dance from North Korea hoping to score an award for their performance and spread culture. “My favorite thing about OMUN is meeting students from other schools while representing all of our different nations,” Calista Styles (11) said. Photo contributed by: Heather McGlothen

Ashlyn Steinbrink, Reporter

This past December OMUN members wrapped up their season at the OMUN conference in Columbus Ohio, where they presented their resolution for their country in hopes of it passing. Now they look forward to the coming year and resolutions along with new members.    

OMUN (Ohio Model United Nations) was established as a school event for students in Ohio in 1982. Since then, the program has grown and expanded. OMUN gives students the opportunity to problem solve by working together and collaborating, while also giving them the opportunity to learn about other countries around the world and common problems those countries face daily. Here at Oakwood, OMUN is led by Heather McGlothen and Katie Poppa at the high school level.

“I have been doing Jr. OMUN for about four years now, but this is my first year doing Sr. OMUN. Sr. OMUN is very different from JR. OMUN,” McGlothen said. “We do a lot more teaching in Jr. OMUN. Sr. OMUN is more on their own.” 

Every year, OMUN groups get together from different schools to have one conference where they problem solve and debate current world topics. At this conference they are judged by OMUN advisors where their goal is to have their resolution passed. Oakwood just participated in this conference back in December of 2022 where they got to leave school and spend three days in Columbus, Ohio. While having the opportunity to miss school is a plus to many students, it’s not the main thing that they could benefit from by being an OMUN member. 

“OMUN benefits students whereas it provides perspective on international issues and foreign affairs. It also is just an extremely fun and exciting program overall that Oakwood is so lucky to be a part of,” Member Taylor Brown (10) said.

OMUN also gives students the opportunity to bond with others and even climb the ranks within the organization. Member Liam McCarty (12) is a prime example of really getting the most out of what OMUN has to offer to students. 

“At first, I thought that the experience as Secretary General was an experience for myself, but as the program progressed, I realized that I was representing Oakwood,” McCarty said. “I was so glad that I could be up on the stage and have all of the Oakwood students be able to relate to someone, who in most years is someone they’ve never even heard of.”

Others get awards to acknowledge their hard work within the organization. From outstanding delegates to outstanding resolutions, there are many awards that students can get. 

“I won an outstanding leadership award which is given to delegates who were recognized by their OMUN advisors – ours being Mrs. Poppa and Mrs. McG – for their ability to step up and lead either at the OMUN conference or leading up to it,” Member Calista Styles (11) said.

When asked, many OMUN members had so many good experiences to share. Whether it gave them an outlet to grow and learn through hard work and perseverance or the chance to meet others and make new friends, there were many positives OMUN members have taken away from the experience.  

“I was able to help my fellow students, find a room, explain the schedule, or to have a good time. What I took from the experience is that leadership is about sacrifice,” McCarty said. “I sacrificed my time among other things to be there for the Oakwood students, and I think it was helpful as this was the advisors first year in the program. I thought the experience was helpful to me, because I’m very interested in public speaking, and this is one of the only times kids our age get to speak to an audience at such a large scale.” 

While OMUN is now over for the rest of the school year and will start back up in the fall of 2023 that hasn’t stopped students and advisors from starting next year’s preparations. Because on the behalf of the students and the advisors there is a ton of preparation and behind the scene work to get ready for the big conference.   

“For next year’s OMUN we will start a little earlier in the year, and be able to tweak a few things that didn’t go perfectly this year. We look forward to being able to help students with their resolutions a little more next year,” McGlothen said.

If you or any of your friends are looking for the perfect fall activity to get together, problem solve and debate, then come check out OMUN this fall to create memories with your fellow peers and get an inside view on current world problems that you can be a leader in fixing.