Marching forward

Jan. 16 is Martin Luther King Day and the Oakwood Inclusion Coalition is hosting a march to commemorate the holiday

Meaningful Message: MLK Day is tomorrow and the Oakwood Inclusion Coalition is holding a march to celebrate. Last year, marchers showed up with civil rights signs. Photo contributed by: Sage Spirk

Paige Simon, Reporter

Originally called Civil Rights Day, Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Day is observed on the third Monday in January and celebrates the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. King, a prominent nonviolent civil rights activist and leader. A campaign for the holiday began soon after King’s assassination in 1968. The holiday was signed into law in 1983 by President Ronald Reagan and was first observed three years later. Today, MLK Day is celebrated to commemorate the life, work and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. through various marches and events, including speeches from civil rights leaders and politicians. The Oakwood Inclusion Coalition will be holding a march tomorrow on MLK Day, Jan. 16, starting at 9:30 a.m. in downtown Dayton. The march itself will assemble at 1323 W. Third Street by the Drew Health Center.

Students will have tomorrow off to observe this holiday, so if you’re free, consider taking part in the march for a chance to hear public speakers discuss the history of the holiday and celebrate.