Watching the arts “FLOURISH”

New arts wing to be built this summer

Watching the arts “FLOURISH”

Griffin Greear, Reporter

This December, construction on the brand new arts wing began the process of adding new facilities for the choir, band and orchestra. Funded by the Oakwood Schools Foundation, the FLOURISH campaign brings vast changes to the arts. Set to complete construction in 2023, students and staff are excited about what these changes will bring.

“The music and arts programs have been ‘flourishing’ in Oakwood for years and these new music rooms will greatly enhance instruction and greatly benefit Oakwood music students,” Choir teacher Jeremy Storost said.

The arts programs are the most participated in extracurriculars and in 2018 were voted the activity most needing facility improvements by community members. The Flourish Campaign will move the choir, orchestra, and band rooms to the northeast side of the school and change these old rooms into art rooms, galleries, and even a storage closet for the theater program.

“I hope that students will find these facilities more accessible. I also hope that they will help inspire the creative and artistic minds of some, and reinvigorate the love of arts for others,” Gabriella Laperle (10) said. “Having a space that’s dedicated to the arts exclusively will go a long way for their appreciation.” 

With new places for students to facilitate their passions for the arts, many are beginning to get excited about what this means to them.

“Music is so much fun and a very prominent part of my life. . . Arts are the way we express ourselves, it’s a way of telling our story,” Andreas Meira (9) said.

There are also problems with current facilities that will be completely solved with these new renovations.

“The band and orchestra also currently don’t have adequate space and storage for instruments. The new rooms will have ample storage for the instrument programs,” Storost explained.

When these huge improvements are being made to something as important as the arts, students are interested to see what changes are in store for them.

“I’m really looking forward to the great acoustics in the orchestra room. Since it will mimic a concert setting, we won’t have that huge change between our room and the stage,” Arewn Feng (9) said.

Having the musical arts groups together in one area may also change how they interact with each other.

“It will also be nice to have the band, orchestra and choir rooms all right next to each other. This will encourage more collaboration between each of the programs,” Storost said.

On Wednesday, Dec. 21 a ceremony was held by major supporters of the project and Oakwood Alumni, Rick Schwartz and Jane Flory Schwartz, and other supporters. The couple met in high school and are a big reason why the project has been lifted onto its feet. Both served on the FLOURISH campaign chair and helped raise the funds to create a completely privately funded project on this scale.

“Without their generosity from day one and their continued support along the way, we would not be where we are today,” Brandy McFall, Oakwood School Foundation Executive Director, said.

When these facilities brought by the FLOURISH Campaign are open to use in the school, these programs may even grow beyond their current bounds.

“I hope students will obtain a new love for the arts. With the increased efficiency and beauty of our new rooms, I can’t wait to see more students joining the art programs,” Feng said.