Senior-ship

Seniors discuss their experience in leadership and their contributions to the community

Confident Commanders: Field Commanders Lizzi Clock (12) and Cecilia Dalrymple (12) pose at Walt Disney World Resort in front of a Mickey Statue, right after performing on Main Street U.S.A. “I was really glad that we were able to pull off this trip, and at the moment the parade was so amazing to be a part of.’ Lizzi Clock (12) said.

Max Kiernan, Reporter

From clubs to sports, and everything in between, leaders in the high school setting are seen by some as of great importance to the school community. Even more so, are our graduating seniors, with the most experience and knowledge of anyone in the building. 

Many strategies and leadership styles to the lessons leadership have been taught to them,  and some of this year’s seniors go in depth with their leadership and its intricacies.

Isabel Rubin-Alvarez

Photo contributed by: Kelsey Jackson

What do you lead?

Speech President for Speech/Debate, Secretary for National Honor Society, NCCJ SPIDEE, Oakwood Teen Court, Student Alumni Ambassador

What is your leadership style?

“I would consider my leadership style to be very collaborative, as I am always looking to hear the ideas of others in these groups. I would also say that the common democratic leadership style encompasses my leadership, as I strive to be as supportive and innovative in these roles as much as possible.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“A time when my leadership was necessary was when I decided to lead an International Women’s Day Drive as a junior last year, through the National Honor Society. I wanted to make a difference and collect necessary items for the Dayton YWCA, such as toiletries, clothing items, etc. I am glad that many people donated to this cause, and it was a great leadership experience as well. “

What have you learned about leadership as a whole?

“My time as a leader has taught me that being a leader is not always easy. There are disagreements that can occur between leaders and group members, which can lead to some conflict within groups. However, being a leader means learning to adapt to these issues and learning to solve them effectively. I know that my time as a leader at Oakwood High School has taught me great skills that I can use in other leadership positions for the rest of my life.”

Cecilia Dalrymple

Photo contributed by: Easterling Studios

What do you lead?

Marching Band Field Commander, Pep Band Leader

What is your leadership style?

“I try to lead by example and as a servant. As field commander for the band I lead through my enthusiasm and joy. My goal has been to inspire everyone in the band to love it as much as I do.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“There have been several times this year when Mr. U needed to miss school, and I had to lead class for wind ensemble and concert band.”

“My time as a leader has helped me recognize the importance of my attitude and commitment in the activity I am leading. If I were to act bored, angry, or irresponsible, the people I am leading would not have much fun either and would not trust or respect me as their leader. Being sincerely joyful, excited, and responsible as a leader helps the rest of the band respect the position of field commander and enjoy being in the band more.”

Lizzi Clock

Photo by: Max Kiernan

What do you lead?

Marching Band Field Commander, Non-Partisan Political Participation Club Co-President

What is your leadership style?

“My leadership style is relaxed. I try to be “one with the people” and not make myself seem better or above anyone else. During the marching season, I still learned and marched with everyone else because I feel that it is important to not make myself seem like I’m “better.” When it’s time to be serious, I can lead the band and be a strong leader.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“My leadership is necessary during the marching band season. During the season, there are a lot of little tasks that need to be done, so it’s a lot of little tasks I do. These vary from making copies of music, taking attendance at away games, and even running rehearsals when Mr.U is gone.”

“My time as a leader has taught me that leadership isn’t as scary as it seems. Going into this, I was very nervous to be leading the band, but I quickly learned that there was no reason to be nervous. Mr. U and my cofield commander Cecilia made this year really good by keeping a calm and no stress environment in the band.”

Evan Hiebert

Photo contributed by: Adriana Eliopulos

What do you lead?

Lead Saxophone in Wind Ensemble and Jazz Band

What is your leadership style?

“I would say my leadership style is more of a relaxed approach, where I really just want (those I lead) to improve their skills and get better.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“A time when my leadership was necessary was before the first marching band performance of the year. All of the freshmen were nervous, so I went to calm them down and assure them of exactly what to do. It went very well.”

“It has taught me that people are much more willing to listen to someone who is both nice and understanding, but also firm and has had experience.”

Morgan Teeters

Photo contributed by: Mollie Connor

What do you lead?

US International Leader

What is your leadership style?

“We are very group oriented. While I have ideas of how we will run our fundraisers, every step is voted on by club members to see what they think is best. This helps to get a larger idea of what the school will respond best to and what different grades will like best.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“During large fundraisers, my leadership is necessary to organize everything. Especially during our most recent fundraiser, “Nerf War”, I had to make some very difficult decisions.”

“My time as president of Us International has taught me how to best use other peoples’ skills. It has also taught me how to best market events.”

Ceily Addison

Photo contributed by: Graison White

What do you lead?

Lacrosse & Swim Captain, NHS President

What is your leadership style?

“I like to listen and collaborate with peers. All of the groups I’m involved in have been collaborative. It’s the leader’s responsibility to provide a topic or direction for that collaboration.”

When was your leadership necessary?

“I think collaboration is always necessary. In NHS we rely on large groups of people volunteering. It is very collaborative.”

“I have learned the responsibilities of leadership and the importance of initiative. I have learned to be more decisive and to take personal responsibility for the activities of the group.”