Springing into theatre, or maybe not

Coronavirus postpones spring musical

Dress rehearsal: Students perform the full musical for the first and possibly last time for the cast and crew’s parents on March 12. Photo contributed by: Taylor Wadham.

Naomi Sutch, Reporter

The musical was supposed to open on March 19, but as the spread of COVID-19 progresses, things are not looking good. Those involved are still hopeful that they’ll eventually get to perform for an audience, but as of March 23, a stay-at-home order has been put into place by the state.

However, as they say, the show must go on, but not if it is a threat to public health.

As of March 28, a decision has not been made as to whether the spring musical, “Cinderella”, will be canceled or postponed due to coronavirus, but either way, students have similar opinions on it.

“I was devastated,” Beth Delon (12), who was cast to play Cinderella, said. “The whole cast has been working on this show since November and we all put so much love and hard work into it.” 

Cinderella has been a dream role of Delon’s.

To be so close to the performances and showing off the magical show we made was heartbreaking,” Delon said.

Naomi Gut (10) is the assistant stage manager on stage crew.

“I and all of the other people involved in the musical worked really hard to make sure the show ran as smoothly as possible and, while I’m not blaming anyone at the school because I know it’s out of their hands, I’m still disappointed,” Gut said. “I was looking forward to not only the show but tech week as well.”

Tech week is when all of the technical elements of a production including but not limited to costumes, lights and sounds are rehearsed until they are perfected and ready to show the audience.

With possible closures looming, tech week was more than a place to improve the technical aspects of the production. As the week progressed, students realized that any of the rehearsals might be their last rehearsal. Parents were invited to view the dress rehearsal on March 12.

“I was just determined to make that last rehearsal/performance as good as it could be, and I’m still keeping hope as best I can for a postponement,” Eric Powers (12), who was cast as Topher, said. “I am confident that we will find a way to perform in some way.”