Scheduling fun

Students and parents learn about upcoming classes at annual Curriculum Night

Equation persuasion: From left to right, math teachers Aaron Hundley, Bobby Mumma, Ian Callon and Brian Polk encourage students to learn about their options for the next school year’s math credit.

Sophia Shannon, Editor

Every year, teachers, students and parents congregate in the West Gym for the OHS Curriculum Night. In addition to meetings for parents of current eighth graders as well as those interested in College Credit Plus classes, the event provides an opportunity for families with 8th through 11th graders to learn about classes of every subject before scheduling.

“I enjoyed Curriculum Night because it helped me decide what I will take next year,” Jake Schairbaum (10) said. “For example, I’ll be taking Wall Street next year instead of AP Psych because of a recommendation to wait until senior year when my schedule dies down.”

Teachers are present behind the class stations to answer questions from students and give more in-depth information on their courses.

“It’s really nice to be able to talk to the teachers about what I’m taking so that I can best grasp what the course is going to be more than just the paragraphs in the Program of Study,” Clara Leach (11) said.

Instructors manning the booths agree that being able to answer questions can be incredibly beneficial for students.

“This allows them the opportunity to ask whatever types of questions about ‘which class is right for me’ and ‘which classes might fit what my interests are’ versus trying to figure it out on your own when you have a good support system here to help you with that,” Christina Davis, who teaches chemistry and physical science, said.

Some parents also find the presence of the teachers to be helpful in learning about what their students are doing.

“I love that the teachers are here and available and staffing the tables,” Amy Askins, the mother of Joey Schairbaum (9) and Jake Schairbaum (10), said. “It’s great to be able to chat with some teachers. Last year when I came with my then ninth grader I really appreciated that.”

For parents with a busy schedule, the Curriculum Night provides an opportunity to meet teachers and hear things that they missed in other events.

“This year it was harder to go to Open House,” Askins said. “I didn’t get to meet with everybody. [Curriculum Night] is just a way to peek in and see what’s going on and get more of a handle on the courses available.”

No matter where students are in the decision making process, Curriculum Night can have a positive impact in helping narrow down options. 

“I look forward to more challenging classes that I will have to really think about, but I’m nervous because Junior Year is a really important year for college readiness and I’ve heard it’s quite hard,” Jake Schairbaum said. “I enjoyed Curriculum Night because it helped me decide what I will take next year.”

Students will fill out their schedule requests throughout the week of Feb. 10, with the specific day depending on their class year. Final schedules will come out in May.