Exploring engineering

Students and teachers explain how the engineering program impacts them

Designing dwellings: Students in Civil Engineering work on designs for Habitat for Humanity houses

Naomi Sutch, Reporter

According to the Oakwood High School website, the Oakwood High School engineering program focuses on project-based learning and the application of math and science knowledge.

The courses offered in the field of engineering are Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Principles of Engineering-Applied Science, Principles of Engineering-Robotics and Civil Engineering and Architecture. The engineering program also has clubs, including Femineering and CyberPatriots.

Femineering encourages more girls to get into engineering and acts as a safe space for girls to interact with engineering principles and ideas.

“Femineering is a great place to learn about engineering opportunities at the high school, and in the community,” Norah Miller (10), a leader of Femineering and student in Civil Engineering and Architecture, said. “We usually go on at least one field trip each year, and we also do smaller engineering projects for fun.”

CyberPatriots uses STEM to educate students on cybersecurity. They meet once a week for training and compete three to five times a year, according to the Oakwood High School website. 

“I use Command Line Interface to code to enable secret passwords,” Patrick Sullivan (10), who has been a member of CyberPatriots for two years, said. “The main goal to win is to get the most points.”

According to Brian Hartt, a science and engineering teacher, engineering classes teach a lot more than what initially meets the eye.

“You come into engineering expecting more mathematical and technical, in which it is, but a lot of it is just having a good work ethic and trying to make an effort,” Hartt, who has been teaching at Oakwood for four years, said. “The skills you need to bring here are just an open mind and a willingness to work hard and do your best.”