Seniors victorious

Seniors defeat underclassmen in annual powder-puff game

Good Sportsmanship: The senior team shakes hands with the underclassmen after beating them.

Alex Thoma, Reporter

Oakwood held the annual powder-puff game Tuesday, Nov. 5 at Mack Hummon Stadium, where the seniors beat the underclassmen, 21-7.

The game is a flag football match where the females take on the role of playing and the males take on the role of cheering.

Two teams participated, one consisting of seniors and one consisting of underclassmen. 

“It’s my senior year and it only happens once so I’m taking in every moment,” Elizabeth Grant (12), a player for the senior team, said. 

The game gives males the chance to cheer, and females the chance to play and be cheered for, with many cheerleaders participating. 

“I did it freshman year and it was fun and my friends are doing it,” Sarah Thielen (11), a cheerleader and player in the game, said.

This is the first time participating for many of the participants due to the school not holding the event during the 2018-2019 school year.

“Due to the change between cheer and Oakwood Giving, the game was not held,” Heidi Edwards, the event organizer, said, about the game being previously organized by Oakwood Giving.

A quarter of the students have participated before during their freshman or sophomore year. All proceeds from the event supported the school’s cheer program.

I thought it would be a fun experience to have with my friends for my senior year,” AJ Lewandowski, cheerleader, (12) said.