Making the ACT as easy as ABC

Photo Illustration by: Canaan Smith

Canaan Smith, Staffer

It’s that time of the year again: testing. Juniors will soon be taking the ACT and other standardized tests. So, to help you out, The Dome asked seniors what they did to prepare and what advice they have for juniors.

“[I] did practice tests and read a practice book,”Sara Pierce (12) said. “[It] definitely helped, I got a good score.”

The ACT is broken up into four sections, Math, Science, English, and Reading. Each section holds a different number of questions and a different time limit.

“Watch your time during the test,” Pierce said. “Also, English is represented in two sections, so you should definitely focus on that.”

Test taking environment and skills are also aspects of testing that students may want to prepare for.

“I did really well on practice tests but I definitely struggled at being a good test taker,” Madelynn Einhorn (12) said. “I did decently, but I think I needed to put more emphasis on being prepared to be in a test taking environment. Anyone going to take the ACT should definitely study and take the time to do the practice test. You should also evaluate the circumstances around the test and plan appropriately.”

There are multiple ways to study for the ACT. ACT also provides practice questions for each section of the exam on act.org. Additionally, practice exams can be found for free online.

“[Studying with practice tests] really helped. I just did a practice test each week and my score went up by four points,”Kate Connolly (12) said.

Social Studies teacher Matt Deters offered a final piece of advice for students preparing to take the ACT.

“Get a good night’s rest and eat breakfast. Don’t cram right beforehand, it won’t help you. Most of all, be relaxed.”

The high school also houses a series of ACT prep classes, which started at the beginning of March.

By: Canaan Smith

[email protected]