NHS dances the night away

National Honor Society dances to the tune of Dayton Children’s Hospital

Quinn Murray, Staffer

National Honor Society’s (NHS) second annual dance-a-thon took place for high school and elementary students on Jan. 27th at 7:15 p.m. in conjunction with the basketball game between Bethel and Oakwood. The dance theme was “Dancing with the Stars” and the proceeds went toward Dayton Children’s Hospital.

Preceding the dance, NHS held a silent auction in the West Gym to further boost donations. NHS sold a wide variety of items beyond gift baskets at the auction.

“We’re encouraging teachers to donate things like ‘ten-out-of-tens’ on reading quizzes and parking spots. Michael Rado is doing a ‘Lunch with Rado.’ Seniors can also auction themselves to be servants to [students],” NHS senior leader, Juliana Chen said.

After a ten point victory over Bethel with the Lumberjacks scoring 64 points, the dance began. Glow-in-the-dark T-shirts purchased before the dance-a-thon acted as a ticket and included a free concession.

“That way a lot of people will be there and we can get a lot of people to come [to the dance] and raise money,” Madeline Kenyon, a senior who participated in ticket sales at the basketball game, said.

After the basketball game, the dance began in earnest. The dance featured cheer coaches acting as dance instructors. Kathy Barlow taught swing dance and Macy Johnson lead fitness dancing.

“I’m doing [the dance] with my friends, so it’s going to be a fun night of hanging out for a good cause,” Kenyon said.

Those entering the dance were outfitted with hospital bracelets with the names of patients at Dayton Children’s Hospital in honor of the fundraiser’s cause. Photo by: Quinn Murray

The dance ran until midnight, far later into the night then the average school dance. However, with one proposal approved by Principal Paul Waller, the dance-a-thon could run into the late hour.

“I would make the dance longer because it’s a dance-marathon. In universities, whenever they run a dance-a-thon they’re always twenty four hours. It’s actually a challenge to dance the entire time,” Chen said.

The money raised by the dance went towards cancer research at Dayton Children’s Hospital and they successfully raised $1510.00.

“Anytime you can give up some time and help others is important,” Heidi Steinbrink, NHS adviser, said. “When everybody comes in [to the dance] is a medical bracelet with the name of a student they’re dancing for. This important because at anytime any of us could still go there, or have been there, or have a family member that’s been impacted. ”