Students experience international learning

Karina Czeiszperger, Writer

Students who experienced school life in other countries often find that adjusting to life in America can be a shift in routine. Changing one’s entire daily schedule or adjusting to a new school environment takes a lot of getting used to.

This past year, several exchange students from across the world attended Oakwood. One of last year’s exchange students, Fancy Csendes returned to her home country of Hungary this July. This fall, Oakwood then welcomed Aissa Nunez Cossio (12) who moved to Oakwood from Mexico.

Fancy Csendes (right), pictured with her host sister Evie Armitage (left) in Cincinnati. Csendes said, “Living with two host families was amazing and wonderful.”      Photo Contributed by: Fancy Csendes

Csendes arrived at Oakwood in the fall of last year for her junior year of high school.

“[Oakwood] feels like a really welcoming family to me compared to Hungary,” Csendes said. “I wasn’t trying to compete with anyone.”

Csendes said Hungarian students always strive to get the best grades or be the smartest person.

“[Hungary feels] like being in a competition all the time,” Csendes said.

Aside from the more competitive school environment, there is a higher standard for style in her Hungarian school.

“There [is] kind of like an [unwritten] dress code,” Csendes said.  “If you would go [to school] in sweatpants, everyone would be like, ‘what are you wearing?’”

Csendes returned to Hungary in July 2017. She is finishing her high school career there.

“I just miss America and Oakwood so much,” Csendes said.

Aissa Nunez Cossio pictured between two of her friends on San Valentine Day (Valentine’s Day). Cossio stays in touch with her old classmates through social media. “They use Facebook. Facebook is “in” there,” Cossio said. “I snap with them too.”     Photo Contributed by: Aissa Nunez Cossio

Aissa Nunez Cossio (12) moved here after attending el Centro de Enseñanza Técnica y Superior (CETYS). CETYS is an international school.

“We don’t have bullying [or anything.] We were like [a] real family. It was more supportive,” Cossio said.

Along with the differences in support, Cossio described going to public school as another change in her life. Attending public school is looked down upon in her hometown of Mexicali, Mexico.

“[My parents] were telling me, ‘you’re going to a public school’ and I was like ‘Why? We’re not poor.’ Because [in Mexico] you only go to a public school [if you’re poor].”

Another difference between CETYS and Oakwood can be seen through the facilities.

“[At CETYS] the installations are more modern,” Cossio said. “We just had elevators. To [open] lockers we had a footprint. The last time I saw [lockers] like [Oakwood’s] was in the movies.”

Cossio plans to finish out her senior year at Oakwood, then continue to pursue higher education in New York.

“[I plan to pursue] culinary arts in New York,” Cossio said.

By: Karina Czeiszperger

[email protected]