Dueling Divas entertain students

Sarah Hensley, Staffer

Dueling Divas, presented by Muse Machine and organized by Dayton Opera performed for freshman and sophomores on March 23. Performers outfitted with punny names that correlated with a respective part in the opera used podiums to simulate a game show environment.

On March 23, freshman and sophomores viewed a Muse Machine performance titled “Dueling Divas”. The performers presented a musical “game show” with four contestants competing to guess the name of the theatrical piece or composer based on a category, much like “Jeopardy”. If a contestant guessed correctly, they had to sing their answer.

“I liked how they incorporated acting and singing together,” Lauren O’Connell (10) said. “I also liked how they combined older and newer music.”

If the answer was incorrect, the contestant would have to sing “Side to Side” by Ariana Grande. The performance held many opportunities for audience interaction, with actors often stopping to select an audience member to come on to the stage guess a question. The performance also featured a question and answer session at the end of the show.

“I think it’s good to expose [students] to more forms of art,” Kiersten Retherford (10) said.

Rachel Keyes, science teacher and Muse Machine advisor, explained the importance of fine arts in the lives of young people and why she enjoyed fine arts from a young age.

Cultural education enriches lives in so many ways. I can vividly remember some of the first shows I ever attended as a child. They definitely influenced and improved my life…When young people are exposed to the arts, they appreciate them more, and will be more likely to support them as adults, creating a better society to live in,” Keyes said.

Every student is a member of Muse Machine and can get more involved more at any time.

“Oakwood is a whole-school Muse member, which means that by paying a small $5 fee, every student is a member of Machine Machine. If any Oakwood junior or senior high school student wants to get more involved with Muse Machine, they should think about auditioning for the Muse Musical or for the summer concert,” Keyes said.

You do not need to be talented in the arts department to be a part of Muse Machine. Muse Machine also provides access to discounted shows for students who enjoy watching shows rather than performing in them.

Students do not have to be actors, or singers, or dancers to be a part of our school’s Muse Machine. Our group does not put on school performances. We facilitate access to the arts. Students can be part of area wide performances if they wish, or they can simply purchase tickets to their favorite shows,” Keyes said.

For more information on becoming more involved in Muse Machine, visit the Muse Machine website at musemachine.com or visit Rachel Keyes, Muse Machine adviser.

By: Sarah Hensley

[email protected]